An ELT Glossary : Cleft sentences



  • Definition : A sentence which has been divided into two parts, each containing a verb, to emphasise a specific piece of information 
  • Example: To emphasise "David" in David came to see me, the sentence is divided into two clauses :  It was David who came to see me.
There are two types of cleft sentence : 
a) as above using It + BE / relative clause  : It was David who came to see me

b) using a wh- clause as subject  or  object - eg I need a rest becomes A rest is what I need   or  What I need is a rest.  This second type is sometimes called a pseudo-cleft sentence.


Related Reading

McCarthy, M. Discourse Analysis for Language Teachers, Cambridge





Remember that Amazon often have both used and new copies the books you want at prices much lower than those shown. At the time of posting, the prices of this book range from £6.59 upwards. So it's always worth checking to see if there's something affordable. And no - we don't earn anything from your clicks!